How to Find Out Anything About Orchids (page 2)
Local Orchid Growers
The Monterey Bay area is a hot bed of commercial orchid growing, all of these companies sell wholesale only.
- Matsui Nursery, Salinas. Matsui was founded in 1967 and shifted to orchid production in 1998. They have 2.8 million square feet in greenhouses and shade houses. They mericlone, hybridize, and raise seedlings as well as purchase cloned plants from around the world. Mr. Matsui brought Dr. Yin-Tang Wang into the company a few years ago to work on developing more efficient ways of producing potted orchids for the mass market. Dr. Wang has given of his time to speak to our society on a few occasions. Mr. Matsui negotiated with the major hybridizer/pollinator in the world, Floriclutura, to locate some of its work in Salinas so that the two companies could coordinate their market efforts.
- Floricultura, Salinas. is a Dutch Company, specializing in state of the art orchid hybridizing and pollination.
- Rocket Farms, Salinas & Watsonville. Rocket Farms specializes in Phalaenopsis production and distribution. They do grow other plants as well. They do open their greenhouses for public viewing occasionally. They sell at Monterey Alvarado Street Farmers Markets on Tuesdays and at MPC Farmers Markets on Fridays.
- McClellan Botanicals & Tiasuco-America, Aromas. McClellan sells at the Flower Mart in San Francisco as well as other through other outlets.
- Bay Breeze Greenhouse, Salinas. Bay Breeze specializing in cymbidiums, cattleyas, dendrobiums, and phalaenopsis. When we can reach their minimum order they will allow us to buy “retail” from them.
- Orchid Zone /OZ, Moss Landing. Orchid Zone specializes in Paphiopedilums (Terry and Samantha Ka-Root) and Sobralias (Bruce Rogers).
Orchid Growers Further Afield
While Monterey has many wholesale growers, Santa Barbara, and the Bay area have many retail greenhouses. Many of these vendors also do Internet and mail-order sales.
- Santa Barbara Orchid Estate, 1250 Orchid Dr., Santa Barbara, CA 93111, 805-967-1284, website, email. SBOE has a large selection of species and hybrids. They have perhaps the largest collection of specimen plants for sale (for a price of course).
- Cal-Orchid, 1251 Orchid Dr. Santa Barbara, CA 93111, 805-967-1312, website, email. Another great, diverse greenhouse. Right across the street from SBOE.
- Hatfield Orchids, Santa Barbara Cymbidiums website 805-901-0340
- Asuka Orchids, San Bruno, website, email. Specializes in cool growing orchids.
- Brookside Orchids, 2720 Alpine Road, Menlo Park, CA 94028
- Gold Country Orchids, 390 Big Ben Road, Lincoln, CA 95648, 916-645-8600 email. Alan Koch primarily grows cattleyas. By appointment only.
- Golden Gate Orchids, 225 Velasco Ave., San Francisco, 94134, 415-566-8636, website, email. Tom Perlite’s operation.
- Hanging Gardens, 2000 Highway 1, Pacifica, email, 415-305-8355, Dan Newman grows many interesting cool to intermediate orchids.
- Hawk Hill Orchids, 1919 41st Ave, San Francisco, 94116 email, www.hawkhillorchids.com, John Lethers and Gary Meyer grow Masdevalias, Draculas, and various Pleurothalids. Gary also imports orchids from Columbia
- Marni Turkel Orchids, website, email, 2080 Llana Rd. 1B, Santa Rosa, 95407, small grower who sells orchids and hand thrown clay pots
- Robert-Bedard Horticulture, 475 Blair Ranch Road, Scotts Valley 831-439-9484, email, website
- White Oak Orchids, 1204 Linda Mar Blvd, Unit A, Pacifica 94044, 650-355-8767, website
Mail Order Growers
- Andy’s Orchids, 734 Oceanview Ave. Encinitas, CA 92024, 888-514-2639, email, website. Maybe the largest collection of species anywhere. Andy and Harry Phillips sell orchid shows, online, and on site by appointment. Lots of good information on the website.
- Carter and Holmes, website, email, 803-276-0579 Known for their Cattleya hybrids, they also carry a variety of other interesting hybrids and species.
- H & R Nurseries, 41-240 Hihimanu St. Waimanalo, HI 96795 website, 808-259-9626