Carmel Orchid Society members contribute to our orchid tips and advice listed below.
Read our publication Resources for Orchid Growers (previously known as "How to Find Out Anything About Orchids"). This publication includes information on orchid history, orchid plant naming, identifying species and hybrids, orchid awards, orchid reproduction/propagation/replication, lists of orchid growers, sources for orchid supplies, and much more.
- Soak the pots in bleach water (a tablespoon or so per gallon) for a couple of days.
- For clay pots only, bake in the oven at 500 degrees for an hour or so. I have not tried this, If you have let me know how it turned out.
Learn more about orchid names in our publication Resources for Orchid Growers (aka "How to Find out Anything about Orchids").
Carmel Orchid Society members contribute to and accumulate the orchid tips & advice listed above.
Orchid people love to talk about orchid culture, how they grow a particular plant, how do you get rid of (insert pests name), and don't even get some people started on the topic of fertilizers. In the distant past you got this information 1st hand from talking to people or reading books and magazines. Talking to people is still an excellent way to get this information, but the Internet has largely eclipsed the printed word. So these pages are our way to try to distribute our accumulated wisdom of what works here in the Monterey area. Just remember advice, like politics, is local. What works indoors in the Midwest won't work outdoors in southern Florida or California. Your local conditions, climate, growing situation, experience, and temperament will effect the advice you get, or give. So with the disclaimer out of the way.... please enjoy our Orchid Tips & Advice!
- Orchid Fever by Eric Hansen
- The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean
- Vandas: Their Botany, History, and Culture by Martin R. Motes
- Orchid Pests and Diseases by American Orchid Society
- An Orchidist’s Lexicon published by The Oregon Orchid Society
- The Classic Cattleyas by A.A. Chadwick and Arthur E. Chadwick
- Tropical Slipper Orchids - Paphiopedilum and Phragmipedium Species and Hybrids by Harold Koopowitz
- A Bay Area Guide to Orchids and their Culture by Mary E. Gerritsen
- The Orchid Whisperer: Expert Secrets for Growing Beautiful Orchids by Bruce Rogers
- Dendrobium and its relatives by Bill Lavarack, Wayne Harris, Geoff Stocker
- Masdevallias: Gems of the Orchid World by Mary E. Gerritsen & Ron Parsons